Life in Hong Kong gets busy and it can sometimes be difficult to find time to stop for a healthy meal. A good way to ensure you don’t slip into bad eating habits is to prepare some healthy snacks to throw in your handbag. Expat Living staffer Leanda Rathmell shares her go-to recipe for those hectic days on the run: Coconut & Cacao Energy Balls. “They’re perfect for on-the-go breakfast bites or a pre-gym and hiking snack. They’re freezable too, so a quick energy fix on busy days”, she says.
How to make Coconut & Cacao Energy Balls
Makes approximately 10-12 balls
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ¼ cup raw whole cashews
- ¼ cup baked almonds
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2-3 teaspoons coconut sugar
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
Optional: “Feel free to add a couple of teaspoons of any additional superfoods like chia seeds, flaxseed or ground hemp seeds.”
1. Apart from the desiccated coconut, throw all ingredients into the food processor and pulse until the ingredients are broken down into a textured mixture.
2. Empty mix into a large bowl. Scoop enough mixture to roll between your palms into a ball that is about 3 to 4cm in diameter, depending on preference. Repeat until mixture is finished.
3. In a separate bowl, roll each ball in the desiccated coconut until completely covered.
4. Enjoy immediately or keep refrigerated for up to 10 days. To freeze, keep in sealed container.
Send us a recipe!
If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to email@example.com with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
Like this recipe for Coconut & Cacao Energy Balls? See more in our Wine & Dine section!
This article first appeared in the August/September 2019 issue of Expat Living magazine. Subscribe now so you never miss an issue.