Exclude Finance Living In Hong Kong

Helpful Tax Info for UK Property Owners

It’s tax time in the UK. If you’re about to click away, muttering ‘Doesn’t apply to me, I’m afraid you could be wrong. And you may be getting yourself into a spot of bother. So, please, read on.

Why 31 January is an important deadline for expats

You see, according to tax expert Niresh Ramachandran of NEXES-HK, the UK government is increasing its focus on non-residents with UK income and assets who are failing to file their annual tax returns. The current political landscape (don’t say the B-word!) likely has something to do with the government’s focus on landlords and investors living abroad.

“If you own a UK property, have sold a property, received an inheritance, have UK shares or own an investment portfolio there, you need to file a return by 31 January each year – even if you live in Hong Kong or have been away from home for many years,” advises Niresh before adding, “getting the right advice will save you money in the long term.”

In fact, even if you don’t have an income, you need to file a non-return. It might sound strange, but this is true. Failing to do so will incur a fine of up to £1,200. One fine for each year you haven’t filed.

Forgotten your tax returns? It is fixable

But enough of the scary talk. Niresh has a reassuring tone and is very clear when he says, “It is quite serious but it’s fixable. That’s why I’m here. I try to make it as simple and easy as possible. Everyone’s situation can be discussed and most can be easily resolved. Again, it’s fixable.”

Savings for UK landlords

Beyond advocating for those who are behind on their tax returns, Niresh is keen to point out that, with up to date guidance about allowable expenses, many clients can make considerable savings.

Niresh’s company NEXES-HK also works with Hong Kong-based investors looking at possible UK property purchases. His team liaise with a range of property developers and they advise on tax liabilities for new purchases while also managing tax returns for UK landlords.

He explains that he often meets UK property owners in Hong Kong, many of whom use UK agents who take 20% for taxation on behalf of their client. He warns this is a common trap where many foreign landlords short-change themselves; in fact, they simply shouldn’t be paying this much tax.

“There are lots of changes happening with government taxes on property. A lot of people used to do it themselves, but now people don’t understand all the allowances and benefits you can receive each year,” says Niresh. “That’s where NEXES-HK comes in; we’re up to date.”

If you’re looking for UK tax advice or guidance on a UK property sale, contact Niresh and his team at nexes-hk.com.

Niresh Ramachandran NEXES-HK Managing Director

See more in our finance section

Unique gifts that keep on giving

Making your money work harder