If you’re on the hunt for new meat-free meal ideas, here’s a great vegetarian recipe to add to the repertoire. Using Impossible Beef, these dumplings are a healthy and delicious alternative to the Chinese classic.
“Impossible Beef uses 96 percent less land, 87 percent less water and 89 percent less greenhouse gasses than meat made from animals. Best of all, these dumplings are just as juicy and delicious!”
– Xiang Yun, Actress and Television Host
Vegetarian Recipe: Impossible Dumplings
- 340g Impossible Beef*
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 30 round dumpling wrappers
- ¼ small carrot, peeled and shredded
- 100g Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 2 water chestnuts, finely chopped
- ½ cup coriander, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon truffle oil (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients (excluding dumpling wrapper) and mix well.
- Dip your finger in fresh water and moisten the outer edges of half the dumpling wrapper.
- Use about 2 teaspoons of the fillings placed over the middle of the wrapper, then fold into a half-moon shape.
- Start by pinching the dumpling wrapper together at one of the bottom corners. Take the side of the dumpling wrapper facing away from you and pleat it towards the corner you’ve already sealed.
- When you’ve reached the other end, seal the dumpling completely and tightly.
- Repeat the rest of steps to finish the rest of the ingredients and wrappers.
- Add 4 to 6 tablespoons of oil into a large frying pan. Place the dumplings in an orderly form inside the pan then set it to medium heat, pan fry until the dumplings are slightly golden (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Drizzle about 3 tablespoons of water over the dumplings then cover the pan with a lid, cooking until water evaporates (about 2 to 3 minutes). Turn off heat and serve.
To view Xiang Yun’s video on how to make Impossible Dumplings, check out @impossible_foods on Instagram!
See more vegetarian recipes and foodie inspiration in our Wine & Dine section!