In case you’re stuck in a recipe rut, here’s a fab recipe for Ricotta and Spinach pie to try your hand at. Happy cooking and eating!
“This pie is the combination of love, health, easiness and comfort. Because of its versatility, it could be prepared as a gluten-free version just by using gluten-free flour. It’s always a highlight dish at dinner parties, and kids love it, too!” – Dr Andrea Rajnakova, Gastroenterologist, Slovakian
Makes approximately 12 servings
Ingredients for pie crust
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free could be used if preparing a gluten-free version)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold butter
- ¼ cup cold milk or water
Ingredients for filling
- 250g frozen spinach, boiled with water drained
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 500g ricotta cheese
- 200g mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs
- Mix together the flour, salt and cold butter (cut into smaller pieces to make it easier), and work the butter. Gradually add in the milk or water, and mix until it forms a crumbly dough.
- Place the dough into a pie pan; press dough into the bottom and sides of the pan to form the crust. Then, place the crust in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Then bake the crust for about 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, boil the spinach until soft, drain and squeeze out excess water.
- Combine ricotta, grated mozzarella and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add cooked spinach, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste, and mix together.
- Spoon the spinach mixture into the pie crust and bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes at 175 degrees Celsius.
Like this? See more recipes in our Wine & Dine section!
Easy healthy fried chicken recipe
Top websites for grocery deliveries in Hong Kong
New nibbles: where to dine this month
Subscribe to Expat Living Magazine now so you never miss an issue!