Bananas ripen very quickly in Hong Kong. If you can’t eat them quick enough, you can always freeze them for smoothies or you can use them to bake yourself a yummy banana cake. In case you’re looking for a recipe for the latter, here’s one from a reader. Happy baking and eating!
“It’s such an easy recipe! Not too sweet and tastes so good – I’ve gotten many compliments on it!”
– June Yap
Banana Cake Recipe
- 300g unpeeled bananas
- 180g unsalted butter (semi-hard)
- 160g caster sugar
- 240g flour
- 4 eggs and 2 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- While the oven is pre-heating, mix butter and castor sugar in a bowl on low speed until even. Then, change to medium speed and beat until fluffy.
- Add in eggs a little at a time. Scrape down the sides for even mixing.
- Add in mashed banana.
- Using low speed, fold in the flour. Mix until well combined.
- Pour mixture into two loaf tins and bake at 170 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes.
Like this? See more foodie inspiration in our Wine & Dine section!
Subscribe to Expat Living magazine now so you never miss an issue!