Looking for some fun things to do in the weeks ahead? Even though we can’t get out as much right now or attend events and concerts like we used to, with the power of the internet, there are online events, live streams and virtual tours that we can still enjoy at home. Here are some to check out!
Hold a family quiz night
- If you’ve been enjoying our own weekly trivia quiz, then why not roll them all together into a giant quiz evening? You’ll find categories covering sport, fashion, weather, art and much, much more!
- For more quizzing fun, try a round (or 10) of “Beat the Intro”. Just create some themed playlists on Spotify and then challenge the family to identify the tune. TV and movie themes work really well – think classic cop shows, for instance, or Bond films.
Support local restaurants by dining at home
- Take a look at our bumper list of great venues doing delivery and/or takeaway, so you enjoy get all your favourite dishes from the comfort of your couch! (The list includes updated details following the new restrictions put in place from 15 July.)
Enjoy a (free) performance
- Stream comedies, cabarets, concerts, art exhibitions and more thanks to the The Social Distancing Festival.
- Andrew Lloyd-Webber’s YouTube channel, The Shows Must Go On!, includes streams of his musicals for free, or you can sing along with Broadway stars performing from their homes as part of Broadway World’s Living Room Concerts.
- Since mid-March, Billboard has been hosting Live At-Home concerts with the likes of Hunter Hayes, Josh Groban and JoJo. Watch them on the Billboard Facebook page.
- The Met has launched a free series of concerts called Nightly Met Opera Streams. They’re available for 23 hours after each broadcast – access the schedule on The Metropolitan Opera website. Plus, the Royal Opera House has a schedule of free broadcasts and live content for a worldwide audience. View via their YouTube channel.
- Shakespeare’s Globe is offering free streams of plays including A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Romeo and Juliet. Tune in via its YouTube channel.
- Turn your living room into a Disneyland Park, complete with Disney’s iconic parade. Watch the Disney Parks YouTube channel and virtually visit the happiest place on earth.
- Missing your regular club night? Hours and hours of house music was streamed from March through to May as part of the Defected Virtual Festival and is still available on the Defected Records YouTube channel.
Get off the lounge and get fit!
- Les Mills On Demand offers fav classes like Body Combat, Sh’Bam and Body Attack for full-body workouts.
- Chris Hemsworth has granted a six-week free trial to Centr, a personalised health and fitness app that gives you access to an extensive range of hit-intensity workouts and personalised meal plans.
- Yoga with Adrienne offers an excellent (and free!) 30-day yoga program. She has a huge library of classes for all abilities. For more yoga, you can follow Lululemon on Insta or check out the YouTube channel.
- American boxing studio Rumble is hosting classes on Instagram live. Classes are then saved for 24 hours. The workouts feature cardio and bodyweight workouts every morning.
- Or take part in a virtual race like the Star Wars Virtual Run (until 30 September). Register online and clock your distances.
Tour a museum (or a famous landmark!)
- Google Arts and Culture is packed full of interesting content. You’ll be able to view digital exhibitions and go on virtual tours at renowned museums and galleries across the world, from the Louvre in Paris to New York’s Guggenheim. There are also virtual tours of famous landmarks, from street views of the Sydney Opera House to the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt.
Giggle with the celebs
- Need your spirits lifted? You need to watch John Krasinski‘s YouTube show, Some Good News. He covers positive news stories and connects with some of his Hollywood colleagues. It will make you smile.
- All the usual night show hosts are keeping us entertained too. Tune in to favourites like Jimmy Kimmel, Conan and of course one of our favourite giggles, the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. Or, follow the likes of Chrissy Teigen, Miley Cyrus, and Ryan Reynolds on Instagram for some comical and uplifting content.
Throw a house party or host games night
- Odds are you’ve already downloaded the Houseparty app and caught up with pals from all over, but for those late to the party (pun intended), this app is a must! Allowing up to eight people to join a virtual hangout complete with games, this is all you need to keep the family reunions going and your social life afloat.
- For other great games, we suggest Scrabble Go!, UNO, Mario Kart Tour – all free to download on the app store.
Go to the zoo (via a virtual tour)
- San Diego Zoo and Melbourne Zoo are among many that are bringing the wild and wacky to us. Watch pandas play and lions laze from the 24/7 live feeds in the animal enclosures.
- If seaside scenes are more your vibe, aquariums like the Vancouver Aquarium and Monterey Bay Aquarium have jellyfish, otter and penguin cams.
Become a master chef
- If you’re a novice in the kitchen, Tasty and Yummly are popular favourites with easy to follow videos; their apps can also be customised to your personal preferences.
- Jamie Oliver and BigOven also have endless recipes to try.
- For those looking to really impress, why not learn from a Michelin-starred chef? Massimo Bottura has transformed his home kitchen into a live cooking studio for Kitchen Quarantine. Viewers can join him on Instagram Live as he prepares mouth-watering meals for his family.
Travel from home
- Tick off your bucket list with Google Earth or Google Street View, a virtual tour of interactive panoramas from positions along many streets in the world.
- Keen for the outdoors? Explore.org has up to 100 livestream webcams set up in national parks and wildlife sanctuaries around the world that you can view at any given moment – including the spellbinding Northern Lights!
- For those who miss a good night out, Ushuaïa Ibiza has launched #StayAtHomeSessions on Facebook – a re-stream of some of 2019’s best DJ sets from Ibiza, to bring the party atmosphere into your homes!
- Travel to Western Europe with Visit Monaco’s virtual tours. Enjoy 360-degree views of its streets and landmarks, including Hotel de Paris Monte-Carlo.
- Travel company andBeyond has a live streaming service where viewers can enjoy wildlife sightings on Instagram Live and interactive three-hour safaris twice a day on YouTube and Facebook.
Like this? See more in our Things To Do section!