“I love this veggie burgers recipe because it’s such a great alternative to eating meat! Full of nutrition and packed with flavour, it makes a great snack for the kids’ lunch boxes, too!” – Maria Malik, food blogger
Ingredients for veggie burgers
Makes four large or six small patties
- 1 can (400g) chickpeas
- 100g boiled potato
- ¼ cup peas, cooked
- ¼ cup corn, cooked
- Small bunch coriander leaves
- Few sprigs of English parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 to 6 whole-wheat burger buns
- Fresh lettuce
- Thin tomato slices
- Drain the water from the chickpeas and process the chickpeas with all the cooked vegetables.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and parsley.
- Add salt, cumin powder, paprika and black pepper, and combine the mixture in a food processor or by hand.
- Shape into round patties. The patties can be shallow fried as they are; or, for crispy patties, dip them in egg and coat with breadcrumbs before shallow frying.
Optional: Warm the buns with a little butter, and spread on some ketchup and mayonnaise if desired. Add in tomato slice and lettuce, and enjoy!
Send us a recipe! If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to firstname.lastname@example.org with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
Like this? See more in our Wine & Dine section
This article first appeared in the October/November 2019 issue of Expat Living magazine. Subscribe now so you never miss an issue.