Living In Hong Kong

Stay informed on HK’s current situation

These past few months, Hong Kong has been experiencing some bold times. For those returning from vacations, it’s important to stay abreast of protest information in Hong Kong and know what’s happening. Here are some ways to do just that:

  • Download the GovHK Notifications app on your iPhone or Android. It’s the most up-to-the-date info from the Office of the Government Chief Information Officer of the Hong Kong SAR Government, you’ll get up-to-date info for transportation, schools, road closures and MTR delays. Stay informed via monitoring the news on local news sites or TV stations.
  • For those with school-aged children, the website will have information about school closures and how schools are being impacted (if at all). You should also stay connected to your child’s school about current protest information in Hong Kong. This can be done through official school communication channels, school social medias and the school’s official website.


  • Another way to stay informed about transportation and infrastructure disruptions is to download the apps for the various transport companies. You can get those links here in our list of suggested handy smartphone apps for living in Hong Kong.
  • For flight information, the Hong Kong Airport website offers all the latest information on flight schedules. This website will list all the inbound and outbound flights to and from Hong Kong International Airport. You will be able to check the status of your flight.

Important information for expats

All expats should stay in contact with their relevant country consulate in Hong Kong. Follow your consulate on social media. Also, try registering with your consulate for email and text message alerts. Your consulate can provide your own government’s updates on Hong Kong.

If you have another source of information you believe readers can benefit from, please email our editor at


Get your free copy of our new City guide here!

New to Hong Kong? Get handy tips in our Living in Hong Kong section.