“This pork recipe is a creamy and indulgent weeknight dinner for two, perfect for impressing a loved one.” – Sasha Conlan
Pork Chops with Apple and Creamy Mashed Potato
- 2 English pork chops
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 heaped tablespoons sour cream or full-fat crème fraiche
- 15g butter
- 1 pink lady apple, cut horizontally to create ½ cm round slices, with seeds removed
- 1 heaped tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Chat potatoes for mash and cooked savoy cabbage to accompany
- Heat a large heavy-based, non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Oil and season the chops. Place them in the hot pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side, plus another 2 minutes on the fat edge to ensure the chops are beautifully browned. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate under foil.
- Wipe the pan of any blackened bits, drizzle with a little oil and melt in the butter over a medium heat.
- Once foaming, add the apple slices and cook for 2½ minutes per side until softened and golden, but still retaining a little bite. Remove from the pan.
- Add the chicken stock, sour cream or crème fraiche, and mustard to the pan. Whisk until blended. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Return the pork to the pan and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, turning the chops once halfway through until the meat is just cooked. Do not overcook the pork as it may turn tough.
- Transfer the chops to plates, pour over the sauce and add the apple slices.
- Serve with mashed potato and cooked savoy cabbage.
See more great recipes in our Wine & Dine section