“This dish is a great one to enjoy as a small bite at the start of a Japanese meal. It goes well with cocktails and beers and isn’t too heavy for an appetiser.”
Recipe for Popcorn Shrimp with Spicy Honey Mayo
Ingredients for the Popcorn Shrimp
- 400g shrimp/prawns (10 to 20)
- 300g tempura flour
- 500ml cooking oil
- 200g spicy honey mayo
- 5g white sesame seeds
- 5g micro cress
Ingredients for the Spicy Honey Mayo (enough for four serves of the recipe)
- 450g Kewpie mayonnaise
- 100g sriracha sauce
- 200g sweet Thai chilli sauce
- 40g honey
- Peel the shrimp and cut into dice.
- Put shrimp into tempura flour and coat. Set aside coated shrimp.
- Mix remaining tempura flour with 200ml cold water to make tempura batter.
- Put shrimp into tempura batter and coat.
- Pan-fry shrimp until golden brown.
- Set fried shrimp in a bowl.
- Add all ingredients for honey spicy mayo in a separate bowl and mix well using whisk.
- Add honey spicy mayo on top of dish until shrimp is fully covered.
- #9 Top with sesame seeds and micro cress as garnish.
Liked this recipe for Spicy Popcorn Shrimp? See more in our Wine & Dine section.