November means it’s Movember time. That means Mo Bros and Mo Sistas across Hong Kong are being encouraged to get talking about men’s health openly, whether it’s mental or physical. What’s happening for Movember in Hong Kong? A lot!
Fundraising activities are taking place all across Hong Kong. Just like those moustaches, the list of activities will keep growing. So, be sure to check hk.movember.com for up-to-date information on all the latest. Here are some to get you inspired for the weekend!
- Selvedge Barbers is providing complimentary moustache trims throughout November. All registered Movember supporters can receive a complimentary moustache trim at Selvedge Groomers. Find them at 36 Pottinger Street. They are also making a 10% donation for grooming products.
- The Landmark Mandarin Oriental is offering Mo-vellous prizes for Hong Kong’s biggest fundraisers. The top individual fundraiser in Hong Kong will win an Amber full dinner experience with wine pairing for two people.
- At Beef & Liberty, every sale of The Mo’ Green Chile Cheese will see a HK$10 donation to Movember. For every Pilsner Urquell beer sold at Beef & Liberty, HK$5 will be donated to Movember. Get eating and drinking! Beef & Liberty will also be hosting a Movember quiz on 12 November.
- Head to Ciao Chow and order a Handlebar Cocktail. Every cocktail will see Ciao Chow make an $18 donation to Movember.
Why is Movember so important?
All these deals are great fun, but Movember exists to deliver a powerful and serious message. A recent survey conducted by Movember showed that:
- Almost a third of men think their job could be at risk if they discussed mental health issues at work
- 30% of men said they would be reluctant to open up about problems in case it had a negative impact on their career
- 46% of men would be worried that colleagues may make negative comments behind their backs
- 36% think they could be held back from a promotion at work if they mentioned a problem that they were finding it difficult to cope with
- This stigma surrounding mental health is stopping men from talking about their problems
- Globally, 3 out of 4 suicides are men
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15-29 year old men globally
The Movember Foundation is the leading charity dedicated to changing the face of men’s health around the world. With a singular goal to stop men dying too young, the foundation supports the following causes: prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention. Since 2003, the support of more than 5 million participants has funded over 1,200 innovative projects across more than 20 countries.
To donate or learn more, please visit hk.movember.com
See more in our Living in Hong Kong section:
International schools in Hong Kong
How to show men support with their mental health
Where to donate used books in Hong Kong