“My kids get fruit and vegetables daily and know the importance of healthy eating to maintain a healthy body. But some days (Mondays to Fridays, and some Saturdays and Sundays!), I get tired of saying, ‘Finish your vegetables!’ I’m a big believer in getting my boys to eat well, and this is an easy, no-fuss, no-fight meal that they love.”
– Dr Arti Jaiswal Children’s doctor at IMC Paediatric
Makes four to six servings
- 1½ cups uncooked pasta (can be macaroni, penne or spirals)
- 400g cauliflower (approximately half of a small cauliflower)
- 2 zucchinis, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter (or your preferred oil)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (or pureed)
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta per package instructions.
- Steam cauliflower and zucchini. When tender, puree the vegetables; add some water if needed.
- Add butter to a pan, sauté onion for around two minutes. Add flour and stir for two minutes, then add warm milk gradually; stir and bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- By now, you should have a thick sauce. Add ¾ cup of cheese and stir.
- Add in the pureed cauliflower and zucchini. Mix everything well, and then add cooked pasta.
- Transfer to a baking dish, top with the remaining cheese, and bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (this will give it a crunchy top!)
See more in our Wine & Dine section: