This delightful baked orange chicken recipe ticks all the boxes for a go-to recipe – it’s a definite crowd-pleaser with kids for a family dinner, but this Asian classic can easily be changed up for guests with some snazzy sides and pretty plating!
“This savoury dish is very versatile; it can work well for a family meal or can be adapted for guests. The marinade makes the chicken really tender and gives it great flavour.” – Vanessa Thacker, British
• 6 chicken breasts
• 4 heaped tablespoons natural Greek yoghurt
• 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 250ml orange juice
• 250ml chicken stock
• Salt and pepper
• Fresh basil, flat leaf parsley or green onions for garnish
• Optional: sesame seeds for garnish
1. Place chicken in a baking dish.
2. In a separate bowl, mix yoghurt, marmalade and mustard. Slowly add orange juice a little bit at a time (stirring well in between so that there are no lumps). Add half the chicken stock and some salt and pepper for seasoning.
3. Pour some of the mix over the chicken and allow to marinate – anywhere from 15 minutes to a full day. Keep both the chicken and remaining mix in the fridge as the chicken marinates.
4. Put the chicken in the oven (at 180 degrees Celsius) for 40 minutes or until it’s cooked thoroughly.
5. While the chicken is cooking, combine the remaining mix and stock, and heat it on the stove, allowing it to reduce.
6. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the baking dish and pour any leftover marinade into the sauce on the stove.
7. Garnish the chicken with basil, parsley or green onions, and some sesame seeds if desired.
Tip: serve the chicken with couscous, rice and/ or steamed vegetables. “It also goes well with garlic or herb bread!”
See more in our wine & dine section:
Where to find the best ice cream in Hong Kong
This article first appeared in the August/September 2018 issue of Expat Living magazine. Subscribe now so you never miss an issue