Exclude Living Here Living In Hong Kong

Setting up utilities in your new home

Once you’ve secured the apartment and shipped the boxes, it’s time to turn up the heat, or at least turn it on. Setting up utilities is one of the more tedious parts of settling into a new home. Unless you are staying in a serviced apartment, as a tenant it’s your responsibility to sign up for water, gas and electricity. Do ask your agent about any existing supply when you sign the lease, and then use this nifty resource to make connections.

Apartments in Hong Kong


Supplier: Water Supplies Department of the Water Authority.

Signing Up: Download form WW01 or collect one from the customer enquiry centres listed here.

Documents: Applications should be sent with a copy of your Hong Kong ID, and applications take about a week to process.

Bills: Sent quarterly

Enquiries: 2824 5000 (Press 3 for English)


Supplier: Towngas, unless you are living in remote areas that use bottled gas.

Signing Up: Fill out this form online, call the customer service line below or visit a Towngas Customer Service Centre (listed here).

Documents: For homes with a previous gas supply you should make note of the meter reading when you move in. A HK$600 deposit is taken for registration, which is used against any outstanding balance when you close the gas utilities account.

If a gas meter is installed but has not been connected previously (as with a new build) you will also need a copy of your lease.

Bills: Sent every two months, with a breakdown of monthly use.

Enquiries: 2880 6988


Supplier: Hong Kong Electric (For Hong Kong Island and Lamma Island)

Signing Up: Apply online or download the relevant form here. You can email the form to customerservices@hkelectric.com or drop it by the customer service centre. Transferring this utilities account from a previous address takes one working day, new connections can take up to two weeks.

Documents: Hong Kong ID or passport, and deposit (equal to 60 days estimated consumption)

Bills: Monthly

Enquiries: 2887 3411, 9am-6pm, Monday-Sunday


Supplier: CLP Power (For Kowloon and the New Territories, including Lantau, Cheung Chau and most other outlying islands aside from Lamma)

Signing Up: Online here, or visit one of many customer service centres

Documents: Hong Kong ID or passport, and a deposit (equal to 60 days estimated consumption)

Bills: Every two months

Enquiries: 2678 2678

CLP also has a helpful guide for new movers here


Making utilities payments is fast and efficient and may be done via a number of channels. Bills can be paid through your bank’s ATM machines, as well as by phone and online and at most convenience stores including 7-11 and Circle K, if you have the bill present.

Direct debits are often called “Autopay” in Hong Kong and require a trip to your bank to set up.

For more advice and help with moving to Hong Kong head over to our Living In Hong Kong section:

Advice on getting started in Hong Kong

The expat’s guide to where to live in Hong Kong

This article first appeared in Expat Living’s annual CityGuide. Get your free copy here!