“This vegetarian chilli tofu recipe is the most simple of dishes to make; but it’s also big in flavour and a true crowd-pleaser. The firm tofu is marinated in a spicy chilli bean sauce then pan-fried until lightly crisped on the outside.” – Aline from ‘Sincerely Aline’
Generously serves 2, or 4 as part of more dishes
Marinated Pan-fried Chilli Tofu Recipe
- 340g firm tofu (sliced into large cubes)
- 2 heaped tbsp dou ban jiang (chilli bean sauce)
- 2 tsp ginger (finely sliced)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp mirin
- Handful fresh coriander (roughly chopped)
- Handful spring onions (roughly chopped, use up until an inch off the root)
- 5 tbsp cornstarch (or enough to lightly coat each tofu piece)
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp oil for cooking (use a neutral oil like sunflower)
- Slice the tofu into large chunks and put in a container. Combine all the ingredients together (except cumin, coriander, spring onions, cornstarch, cooking oil).
- Pour over the tofu. Put the lid on tight and carefully flip around to make sure the marinade has coated all the tofu. Put in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Cooking the tofu: Start by lightly coating each piece in cornstarch.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan on a medium heat, when hot (but not bubbling) spread out the tofu chunks (any remaining marinade liquid, leave to one side). Sprinkle with cumin. Fry for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned, carefully turn each piece around, sprinkle with more cumin. Add some of the remaining liquid from the marinade. Fry for another 3-4 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated slightly.
- Serve topped with the fresh coriander and spring onion
This recipe is brought to you by Sincerely Aline: instagram.com/sincerelyaline
Aline is a recipe developer, plant-based cooking instructor and communications marketer. She’s the founder of Sincerely Aline, which is all about wholesome, nourishing and fuss-free cooking.
Like this? See more recipes and foodie inspiration in our Wine & Dine section!