“These healthy crackers are naturally gluten free, nut-free and vegan. They’re packed with fibre, which is good for digestion and also great if you have picky eaters at home who avoid veggies. Flaxseed and chia seeds are particularly high in omega-3 fats, and they provide iron, protein and antioxidants. I’d recommend having these crackers with a portion of lean protein or veggie dip for a morning or afternoon snack. They’re also a nice crunchy topping for salads or soups!” – Sofia Bon Foster, nutrition coach and cookbook author
Flaxseed Crackers Recipe
- 1 cup golden flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons ground chia (you can grind the seeds using a food processor or coffee grinder)
- ¼ cup tomato sauce (you can use apple cider vinegar as an alternative)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon Italian dried herb mix or dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Pinch of Stevia powder
- Pinch of salt
Note: You can make the Italian herb mix yourself by mixing oregano (1 teaspoon), basil (1 teaspoon), parsley (½ teaspoon), thyme (¼ teaspoon), rosemary (¼ teaspoon) and a pinch of garlic powder.
1. While the oven is preheating to 100 degrees Celsius, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Then, stir in the tomato sauce and water. Mix well and leave to sit for at least 20 minutes.
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Distribute the mix using a spoon.
3. Cover with another piece of parchment paper or cling wrap and press, making a thin, even layer.
4. Bake for 20 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and carefully shape into crackers using a knife.
6. Place back in the oven for 35 more minutes until the crackers are dry and crispy. Then, let them cool down completely. Store in a sealable container.
Tip: Place a paper towel on the bottom of your sealable container or wrap the crackers to keep them dry.
Send us a recipe! If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to email@example.com with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
See more in our Wine & Dine section: