Most of us have our go-to recipes, be it for a mid-week lunch, a dinner party pleaser or a sumptuous cake that Nigella Lawson would be proud of. In case you’re stuck in a food rut, however, here are a couple of our readers’ fail-safe recipes for the summer season to add your repertoire. Bon appétit!
#1 Berry Bliss Summer Oats
“Being a nutritionist, I’m so often asked for breakfast ideas for busy families. Refrigerator oats are quick and easy to make – and with so many different flavour options such as mango, cocoa banana, apple cinnamon and even peanut butter, you can have one for every day of the week!” – Chloe De Nazelle, Scottish
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup milk or unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup low fat yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon raspberry jam (“I use unsweetened organic jam” – Chloe)
- ¼ cup halved fresh raspberries, or enough to fill the jar
- Put oats, milk, yoghurt, chia seeds, vanilla extract and jam into a jar. Screw on lid and give it a good shake until combined.
- Add the fresh raspberries and stir. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to three days. Eat chilled.
#2 Easy Chocolate Orange Mousse (Serves 6)
“For all those missing Terry’s Chocolate Orange, this mousse is a fantastic quick-fix substitute.” – Sarah Anderson, British
- 200g plain chocolate
- 200ml whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 100g full fat crème fraîche
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of water until runny. Leave to cool.
- Lightly whip the cream in a bowl. Add the orange juice and zest.
- Add the crème fraîche to the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Fold the whipped cream into the mixture and spoon into six ramekins.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving.
Who said summer was only for salads? Check out more recipes over on our Wine and Dine page.