We’ve already heard from Claire Locking how Sheryl Bolden, the owner of Make My Wardrobe Work, gave her wardrobe an overhaul. Now we’ve quizzed the fashion expert for her wardrobe staples and shopping advice.
Sheryl’s 5 tips for avoiding shopping mistakes
- If it doesn’t fit you when you try it, don’t buy it.
- No matter how much you love the print or the colour, if it’s the wrong shape, leave it on the hanger.
- It’s only a bargain if you loved it at full price.
- If you already have something similar ask yourself honestly, is this a better upgrade? If not, don’t buy it.
- Ensure you already own something else to wear with a new purchase, otherwise you’re buying a whole new look.
Sheryl’s 5 must-have items
- Tan wedges. Ideal for navigating the streets of Hong Kong; versatile as they can be dressed up or down; work well with a wide range of colours.
- Maxi dress. No longer a summer staple, retailers have been selling this shape year-round; layer up with cosy knits for now and add sandals come summer.
- Coloured scarf. The right tones next to your face can make black clothes more flattering as well as adding interest and texture to your look.
- Statement necklace. Accessories in general are not to be underestimated. A standout necklace will not only transform your look but will be a guaranteed talking point.
- Perfect white T-shirt. Pick a neckline and sleeve that flatter your figure; choose a fabric with drape and a little sheen or even explore beyond jersey; this is your go-to blank canvas to last the whole year.