In case you are stuck in a recipe rut this month, here’s a fab cake recipe to try. “Dripping with passionfruit syrup, this cake not only has wow factor, but is also quite simple to make. Perfect for afternoon tea or, even better, serve while still warm with cream or ice cream as a dessert.” – Expat Kitchen
Passionfruit Syrup Cake Recipe (Serves eight)
Ingredients for cake
- 150g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup thick Greek natural yoghurt
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
Ingredients for syrup
- 1 cup passionfruit pulp
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius and lightly grease cake tin.
- To make the cake, place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl, and beat with an electric mixer for 10 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the Greek yoghurt and beat until well combined.
- Fold through the sifted flour and spoon into cake tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the syrup. Place passionfruit pulp, water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, and stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Allow cake to cool in tin for five minutes. Remove from tin and let cool for five more minutes on a wire cooling rack.
- Transfer to serving plate, spike all over with a thin skewer and drizzle cake with syrup. Tip: Serve while still warm!
Like this? See more recipes in our Wine & Dine section!