In case you’re stuck in a recipe rut, here’s a classic cake with a twist to try – “This Orange Almond Cake has an orange zing and almond nuttiness, making it the best companion for afternoon tea or coffee.”
– Gayatri Singh
- 150g bakers flour*
- 75g almond meal*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 170g white sugar (can increase it to 200g)
- 75g unsalted butter, melted
- 85g olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a 24cm round tin with butter. Melt the butter, and add oil and orange juice to it. Whisk well.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and orange zest and sieve them twice to eliminate all the lumps.
- Using a wire whisk or stand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract, and continue to beat for five seconds.
- Use a paddle hook or a spatula to fold the flour in three batches. Fold lightly, making sure you don’t over-mix the batter.
- Pour into the greased pan and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the tin for five minutes, then transfer it to the wire cooling rack.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and chopped almonds. Serve with tea!
Like this recipe for Orange Almond Cake? See more great recipes in our Wine & Dine section.