Charissa Areington is a health and fitness nutritional coach in Hong Kong who believes there is no single ideal diet to suit all people. Her aim, instead, is to find out what works for each of us individually when it comes to our lifestyles and our health and fitness goals. Charissa is also an advocate for Nuzest, a premium supplement designed to provide the body with the balance of vitamins and minerals it needs. Each week, she’ll bring us a delicious recipe based on a Nuzest product that’s easy to make at home and full of flavour and nutrients. This week, it’s a Nutty Chocolate Protein Porridge recipe.
“Being creative in the kitchen is a great way for us to experiment in so many ways, enjoying clean ingredients that still taste amazing. I felt like making something that resembles a combination of some popular breakfasts, from oatmeal to Peanut butter Jello, along with adding a bit of a twist. Finding ways to enjoy your very own healthy breakfast, is not only a great start to your day, but also the start of your healthy lifestyle.”
- 180g vanilla coconut yoghurt, or (Greek yoghurt)
- 1 cup of quinoa flakes (or organic gluten-free oats)
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 1/3 cup fresh Blueberries
- 4 fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon of sugar free blueberry jam
- 1.5 cups of macadamia nut milk
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 serves of Nuzest Chocolate Clean Lean Protein
- pinch of Cinnamon
- Optional: crushed nuts
- First start by getting your two “overnight” glass jars. Place them aside. (Optional: sprinkle some crushed nuts or seeds at the bottom of the jars.)
- Using your mixing bowl, add in the following ingredients: quinoa flakes/oat flakes, chia seeds, blueberry jam, macadamia nut milk. Mix all the ingredients together then add the Nuzest Chocolate Clean Lean Protein. Ensure the mixture is thoroughly blended. Then set aside.
- Take your glass jars and using a teaspoon spread the almond butter on the inside of the glass jars; this just brings another layer of flavour and texture to the porridge. (This is optional, you can just add it into the porridge mix.)
- Once done, pour the porridge mixture into each jar. Then you can start making the final yoghurt layer.
- Add your yoghurt to a mixing bowl, pop in the fresh blueberries, and mix.
- Sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon in and mix further.
- Once done, you can scoop it out onto the porridge mix, leaving a little extra space at the top as you will finish it off with some of your fresh sliced strawberries. Lay them flat so you can cover the glass jars with the lids. (Tip: for extra crunch, add in some crushed nuts sprinkled in-between layers.)
Keep overnight in the fridge and enjoy the next morning with a little added cinnamon dust.
Charissa, originally South African, lived in a few countries, before relocating from Singapore to Hong Kong. As an Online Health and Wellness influencer, Fitness/Nutrition coach, she loves sharing health and wellness where and when she can.
Especially when it comes to finding healthier alternatives to those not so healthy meals.
EL readers can enjoy 10% discount on all products purchased on the Nuzest online shop. Simply enter the code “charissa10” upon checkout to apply the discount. Delivery is free.
Try it out
Scan the QR code below to request a free sample sachet.
See more in our Health & Fitness section
Subscribe to Expat Living magazine now so you never miss an issue!