This is a great recipe for using up the leftover hot cross buns at Easter and perfect for those cooler nights!
Hot Cross Bun Baked Pudding
- 6 hot cross buns
- 600ml thickened cream
- 4 free range eggs – yolks only
- 75g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 50g flaked almonds
- 30g sultanas
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius fan-forced).
- Cut the hot cross buns in half and brush each side with butter; then close them up again.
- Put into rectangular baking dish approximately 40cm by 20cm.
- Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together until the mixture turns pale and thickens.
- Put the cream into a small pot on a low flame and gently bring to a boil, stirring along the way. Make sure the cream doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pan!
- Once boiling, pour a small amount of the boiling cream over the egg yolk mixture and whisk well.
- Repeat with another small amount, and whisk well. Add the remaining cream and whisk again. Add the vanilla essence and salt, and whisk further.
- Pour the custard mixture over the buns and let stand for six minutes to absorb the liquid.
- Sprinkle the sultanas and almonds over and around the hot cross buns.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until golden and just set.
Recipe courtesy of Expat Kitchen.
Like this? See more in our Wine & Dine section:
Subscribe to Expat Living Magazine now so you never miss an issue!