Most of us have our go-to recipes, be it for a mid-week lunch, a dinner party pleaser or a sumptuous cake that Nigella Lawson would be proud of. In case you’re stuck in a food rut, however, here are some of our readers’ fail-safe recipes from around the world to add your repertoire. Enjoy this smoothie and pancakes! Bon appétit!
Amy Donohue, Australian
“As a holistic health coach, my goal is to help people improve their diet and eating habits. This smoothie is packed with antioxidants, potassium and fibre and is a great way to start your morning. By blending the fruits you are kick-starting the digestive process so your body doesn’t need to use up as much energy to break down the fibre – it’s great for people who feel a bit queasy first thing in the morning.”
Berry Banana Smoothie(serves two generously)
• 2 cups soy or almond milk
• ½ cup frozen blueberries
• ½ cup fresh raspberries
• 2 pitted Medjool dates
• 1 ripe banana
1. Put the banana and the soy or almond milk into the blender and blend.
2. Add blueberries, raspberries and dates.
3. Continue to blend on high speed for a minute.
4. Pour into a mason jar or a glass and enjoy!
Donna O’Shea, British
“I’m a personal trainer and Pilates instructor, and I recommend this recipe to my clients to help them vary their breakfasts, or as a pre-workout meal. Bananas provide energy for workouts and will replenish potassium lost through sweating. Chia seeds are packed with protein.”
Passionfruit and Banana Pancakes (makes 10 to 12 mini-pancakes)
• 3 large ripe bananas
• 6 eggs
• 3 teaspoons chia seeds
• 6 passionfruit, juice and seeds
• Juice of two lemons
• 3 to 4 tablespoons cooking oil (coconut oil provides added flavour).
• Blueberries or raspberries can also be added to the mixture for variation and added antioxidants
1. Mash the bananas in a bowl and add the chia seeds.
2. Whisk the eggs and add to the bananas.
3. Heat the oil in a flat pan and place a spoonful of the mixture into the centre.
4. Cook until set and then flip the pancake (60 to 90 seconds on each side).
5. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
6. Drizzle with the passionfruit and lemon juice.
Be Part of The Great Recipe Swap!
If you have a fail-safe recipe you’d like to submit for our next issue, please send an email titled Great Recipe Swap to email@example.com with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.