It’s the biggest weekend in Hong Kong – everyone wants to get their hands on the illusive Rugby 7’s tickets, but not everyone can. So what do you do? Give up and sulk? We think not! Hong Kong has its party shoes on and quite frankly, at times you probably won’t even realise you’re not in the stadium. Here’s what’s going on, tickets or not:
HSBC Sevens Village
The go-to spot if you haven’t got tickets – the HSBC Sevens Village is back for another year and bigger than ever!
Highlights of the HSBC Sevens Village:
- Watch live streaming of the tournament on a giant screen all weekend.
- Send a video message at the HSBC “Cheer on the Hong Kong Rugby Team” video booth in Chater Garden in Central on the Wednesday and Thursday of tournament week. The best messages will be broadcast at the Sevens Village.
- Have fun and learn new skills at the HSBC #BRINGYOURGAME Zone, where fans and families can join interactive rugby, golf and tennis games for a chance to win fun prizes.
- In addition, the Kids’ Zone offers arts workshops, face painting and fun activities for children of all ages.
- Meet rugby legends and HSBC Ambassadors Brian O’Driscoll, Jason Robinson, George Gregan and Gavin Hastings and try to beat them at the Rugby Sevens Superstar’s Challenge.
- Groove to the music with live entertainment and musical performances from popular Scottish bag-pipe band the Red Hot Chilli Pipers.
- Food stands feature a wide choice of snacks and drinks from The Butchers Club, Cali-Mex and Bread & Beast.
- HSBC Premier customers can get special HSBC Rugby Refuel vouchers in the HSBC Sevens Village on a first-come-first-served basis.
FREE ENTRY | Indian Recreation Club, 63 Caroline Hill Road, So Kon Po, Causeway Bay | Friday, 8 April: 12 noon to Final Whistle | Saturday, 9 April: 8 am to Final Whistle | Sunday, 10 April: 8:30 am to Final Whistle
Rugby Family Fun Weekend at Lee Tung Avenue
The all new 200-metre-long, tree-lined pedestrian walkway, Lee Tung Avenue, will be transformed into a Family Fun weekend market. Visitors can enjoy a wide variety of treats, including Lee Tung Avenue tenants’ offers, cheeses and other dairy products, along with honey, wine and fresh produce from New Zealand wineries and farms. There’ll also be local home grown food freshly delivered from New Territories and best of all free tasting of the palate-pleasing Damm Lemon Spanish beer.
Booths will be set up for interactive games, while a face-painting workshop is guaranteed to enhance the fun. Parents can bring their family and friends along to “Lee Tung Avenue” to watch free live broadcasts of exciting “2016 Hong Kong Rugby Sevens” matches on a TV screen set up on turf ground created especially for the event. The legends of the New Zealand All Blacks will also join in on the fun – famous New Zealand Sevens former players including Christian Cullen, Sean Fitzpatrick, Frank Bunce, Michael Jones and Eric Rush will be mingling with the crowds along Lee Tung Avenue!
7 – 10 April | Lee Tung Avenue, from the Queen’s Road East entrance to Johnston Road entrance, Wan Chai
GFI HKFC 10s and After Party
Hosted by the Hong Kong Football Club, the 16-team tournament offers fans a close-up view of the action and the chance to mingle with the players, including the star-studded APDs, who will try to win a third straight Cup title and fourth overall. YCAC, featuring several former All Blacks Sevens stars and former England Sevens flier Mat Turner, will again try to win the title for the first time, having lost the last two finals.
For the first time, the GFI HKFC 10s will stage an ‘After Party’ on Thursday evening that’s open to teams, Club members, spectators and the general public. Effectively replacing the team dinner held in the Sports Hall, the After Party will be held outdoors, on the hockey pitch, so head on down and support rugby week’s newest party. Beer and wine are included in the entry fee, so book your tickets at Ticketflap.com. ($150 for both days, $100 per day, $250 for After Party plus beer and wine.)
6 – 7 April | Hong Kong Football Club, 3 Sports Road, Happy Valley, Causeway Bay, Exit A (Times Square)
HKSEVENS Kick-off Concert
What better way to warm-up for a weekend of world-class sport and entertainment than seeing the one and only David Hasselhoff! The international recording artist and star of the seminal ’80s television show Knight Rider and ’90s series Baywatch, will host the concert; joined by Scottish rockers The Proclaimers and renowned ABBA tribute band Björn Again. WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED?! Get tickets, if you can, here.
6 April 5 – 11pm | The Sevens Village, 63 Caroline Hill Road, So Kon Po
LKF Sevens Carnival
The only street you need to be partying at this weekend! If you head down to the LKF carnival this Tuesday (5 April) dressed up you could be in the chance to win some 7’s tickets! It’s one of the biggest street parties to ever hit Hong Kong, and you won’t want to miss it. Not only that but it is absolutely free with music playing all night along with HK Sevens rugby ambassadors hosting. See you there.
Tuesday 5 April | 8 – 10pm | Lan Kwai Fong
And, if you’re lucky enough to HAVE tickets FRITES will be offering free beer at any of their restaurants to Rugby 7’s ticket holders. Their Causeway Bay branch is 10 minutes away from Hong Kong Stadium and is perfectly located for post Rugby 7’s dinners – and free beer!
Phew… what a week we have in store – The Rugby 7’s is undoubtedly the best weekend of the year – we’ll see you on the other side!