Forget the catwalk, the shop windows and the fashion bloggers. Sometimes, the best place for style inspiration is out on the streets. Our style hunter roams the island, camera-in-hand, ready to snap expats who exude individuality and a style of their own.
This month, personal stylist Ellen Lobler shares her tips on how to look chic throughout a pregnancy – yes, it’s possible!
Many women don’t spend much money on maternity wear as they figure it will only be worn for a few months; but even if you don’t get a lot of wear out of your outfits, it’s still nice to look the part! Here are a few tips for a stylish pregnancy:
- Avoid loose clothing. Form-fitting pieces are much more flattering – show off that bump!
- Wear block colours for a nice silhouette, but be careful with satin materials or very unforgiving, loud patterns.
- Invest in a pair of maternity leggings – they’ll come in handy worn under tunics.
- Invest in a pair of maternity skinny jeans for the stretch waistband!
- Insider tip: Check out empire-style tops and tunics in regular shops; they can be ideal transitional items for the period when you are bigger than normal but not big enough for maternity wear.
Model: Deb Woodley-Page
Profession: Voice-over artist
Photographer: Anna Bowkis Photography
Ellen is a Dutch stylist and personal shopper in Hong Kong, and writes about the latest trends for stylebyasia.com.