Here’s some great news for Hong Kong’s young up-and-comers. Malvern College Hong Kong (MCHK) is implementing a merit-based leadership scholarship scheme for Sixth Form students starting in 2021/22 who show promise as leaders of the future.
Up to four leadership scholarships will be made available for each academic year – and both internal and external applicants are eligible. What’s the aim of this new scholarship? In short, to recognise pupils who have been demonstrating innovative and initiative driven leadership that has a meaningful impact on their academic work or community. DR ROBIN LISTER is the Headmaster of Malvern College Hong Kong. He says, “Malvern leadership scholars will form a diverse and dynamic annual cohort of leaders whose work is relevant for the school and beyond. They’re sure to be an inspiration to their peers.”
How applicants will be assessed
Now to the nitty-gritty: how the application process works. Applicants will be assessed via an online assessment and written test, followed by a leadership challenge and a panel interview.
The leadership challenge will see candidates engage in group activities that assess them for key leadership criteria such as problem-solving, teamwork, collaboration and persuasiveness.
The panel interview, meanwhile, provides candidates with a chance to showcase their motivation to join MCHK, their understanding of current events, and their philosophy on life. These interviews will be conducted by the school’s Headmaster and a panel of professional experts.
What students stand to get from the scholarship
- Application fee, full tuition and annual capital waiver
- Support of the leadership project while enrolled at MCHK
- An international and diverse learning environment
- Co-curricular and academic enrichment programmes
- Higher education consultation and university application support
How to apply
Keen to give it a go? Applicants must submit a regular Malvern College Hong Kong application along with an additional online scholarship application form, plus supporting materials including:
- a mentor recommendation form;
- a personal statement with a description of their leadership profile and motivation;
- a parent statement; and
- school reports from the previous two years. If entry to the scholarship application programme is granted, the regular application fee for Malvern College Hong Kong will be waived.
Application deadline: Friday 9 October 2020
Head to malverncollege.org.hk for more details.
This article first appeared in the Autumn 2020 issue of Expat Living magazine. Subscribe now so you never miss an issue.