Christmas Mulled Wine
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup sugar (more if you prefer it sweeter)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 cup water
- 2 bottles dry red wine
- Zest large pieces of the orange and lemon peels using a vegetable peeler, avoiding the white pith as much as possible.
- Put zest, sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves and water into a pot. Bring this to a slow boil for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel away the white pith from the orange and lemon and slice them.
- Remove pot from heat and add the wine, plus the orange and lemon slices.
- Warm on low heat for 40 minutes (do not let it boil).
- Strain the wine and serve warm.