Looking for new ideas for family dinners? Try this recipe for Mexican chicken tortilla cups – they’re fun to make and healthy too.
“Chicken tortilla cups are a favourite dish in our family. They’re delicious and crispy, and the kids love them!”
– Dr Andrea Rajnakova, Gastroenterologist
Serves four (makes 16 tortilla cups)
- 3 chicken breasts
- 8 tortillas (gluten free or non-gluten free)
- Bunch of spinach
- Shredded cheddar
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 avocados (to make guacamole)
- Sour cream
- Chopped tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Meanwhile, boil the chicken for about 15 minutes. When the meat has finished cooking, shred it.
2. Heat the avocado oil in a pot; throw in the shredded meat and stir in the tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Cover for five minutes, then add in spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted.
3. Cut the tortillas into fours. Fill each of the empty slots of a muffin tin with two tortilla quarters (layered one on top of the other), leaving room in the middle to fill with the meat.
4. Fill the middle with the cooked meat and top with cheddar cheese, then bake for 15 minutes.
5. Serve with guacamole, sour cream, chopped tomatoes and lettuce.
See more in our Wine & Dine section:
Restaurants with great veggie options
15 tasty lunch locations to try
Dining: New venues and menus
This article first appeared in the August/September 2019 issue of Expat Living magazine. Subscribe now so you never miss an issue.