“This chocolate mousse recipe is one of our standby sweet and indulgent favourites. It’s posh enough to serve at a dinner party (if you dress it up a little), yet it’s also bang on for an indulgent afternoon treat. It is quite rich, so it’s better served inshooter-size glasses. Making the servings small also means that the kids aren’t having too much sugar in one go.
It’s a really great recipe for the kids to make with only a little adult supervision. In fact, I love it when my son helps as he is much more patient than I am at filling the small glasses, and does it so much better than I do! He takes his time and wipes off all the untidy drips, just like in the restaurants.”
– Way Ling Wiesser, UK
Recipe for Quick and Easy French Chocolate Mousse
Note: Due to its raw egg content, this mousse should not be eaten by pregnant women, young children or the elderly.
Serves 10 (mini-portions)
- 200g good quality dark chocolate
- 400ml cream, whipped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 50g sugar
- Break the chocolate into pieces, melt in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, then set aside to cool down.
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy, but not stiff.
- Mix the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Add the cooled chocolate to the yolk and sugar mixture. Stir well.
- Fold in a large tablespoon of whipped cream, followed by a large tablespoon of egg white, and repeat until all the ingredients have been used up. The mixture will look very liquid but will firm up in the fridge.
- Pour into small serving glasses, cover with cling film and refrigerate.
- Serve with raspberries and blueberries, or whatever takes your fancy.
- The secret to a great mousse is in the quality of the ingredients, so don’t scrimp on the chocolate.
- Halve the recipe if you only want a small amount.
- You could substitute the dark chocolate with white or milk chocolate.
- A delicious, but time-consuming addition is to put a layer of berry puree in between the layers of mousse
Like this? See more recipes in our Wine & Dine section
Salted Caramel & Chocolate Cookies
Coconut & Cacao Energy Balls