Running out of recipes for the family? This Coconut Rice Pudding is a take on an old fashioned favourite and is bound to be a hit. Serve it hot to warm up the tummies in the winter months or cold in the summer.
“Rice pudding always brings me back to summers with my grandparents in the UK, so I thought I’d bring a little nostalgia into the kitchen – but this time with a tropical twist!”
– Leanda Rathmell, Regional Production & Client Services Manager at Expat Living
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 2¾ cups milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup arborio rice
- ¼ cup white or brown sugar
- A splash of vanilla extract
- A pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg or Chinese five spice powder
- Diced mango (optional)
- Beat 2 tablespoons of milk with the egg yolk in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine milk and coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat. When the mixture just begins to steam, reduce the heat to low
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in rice and cook for 1 minute. Pour in ½ cup of the coconut milk mixture, stirring constantly until liquid is completely absorbed and rice is creamy. Repeat this process until the milk mixture is fully incorporated and the rice has a tender yet slightly firm consistency. This should take around 20 to 30 minutes.
- Stir sugar and salt into the rice mixture. Remove from heat.
- Slowly whisk in the egg yolk mixture for around one minute until it’s completely incorporated and the mixture is a custard-like colour. Whisk in the vanilla.
- Cool the pudding to room temperature, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until well chilled, at least three hours. Garnish with mango and sprinkle a little nutmeg, cinnamon or Chinese five-spice powder on top.
Like this? See more recipes in our Wine & Dine section!