The perfect tea-time treat, this soft and fluffy butter cake is an easy-to-make bake everyone will love. “You can whip it up with what’s already in your fridge and kitchen cupboard!” – June Yap, Reader
- 250g self-raising flour
- 250g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Using low speed on an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar until even.
- Change to medium speed and mix until the mixture is lighter in colour.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well until creamy after each addition. Scrape down the sides for even mixing.
- Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add in the flour in three separate portions using the lowest speed.
- Add milk and mix to combine.
- Pour into a 20cm square cake tin that’s lined with baking paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees Celsius for about 45 minutes until golden brown.
See more in our Wine & Dine section: